Class B (Straight Truck)


To practice driving for a Class B (Straight Truck) Commercial Drivers License (CDL), you first need to obtain a Commercial Drivers Instruction Permit (CDIP). You cannot practice driving a rig with just a regular drivers license.

Before studying, make sure you’re eligible to obtain a CDL. In most states you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

  • You’re at least 18. If you want to drive interstate (across country, from state to state) you must be at least 21.
  • You own a valid drivers license.

If eligible, you’ll need to pass a Commercial Drivers Instruction Permit test to obtain a CDIP. This test involves no driving. It’s a written exam similar to the one you passed for your regular driver license. The difference are that the multiple choice questions only address commercial driving topics.

Become prepared by studying your state’s CDL manual and taking a few practice permit tests, readily available here.

Class B, students must have both their Learner’s Permit and D.O.T. Physical prior to class start date.

Class B (Straight Truck)

United Tractor Trailer School, Inc.,  will supply a truck and sponsor for up to, and including, Three (3) Class B road test appointments with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Each additional Class B appointment will be made at the cost of $100.00 to the student.


Days: 1 Week
Monday through Friday: 8am to 5pm

New Classes Starting Every Monday


Evenings: 2 Weeks
Monday through Friday: 5:30pm to 9:30pm

New Classes Starting Every Monday


Weekends: 2 1/2 Weekends
Saturday and Sunday: 8am to 4:30pm
New Classes Starting Every Saturday